1.27.2011

I've always felt like I have endless options when it came to my education and career. This kind of thought process kind of goes hand in hand with the array of interests I have... and while this variety has always suited me well with my design process (making it easy to switch between projects), it often makes the assignment of choosing career goals quite difficult. I've personally always been told to picture myself in one, three, five, or ten years and then take into account what I see.

Most of the time I see myself working with a team of equally passionate peers, sometimes as the head of the team and sometimes as a team member. In contrast though, I also picture myself shooting in a studio with all kinds of equipment and minions surrounding me. (this might be one of the more idealistic dreams) Another  image in my mind is one where I'm walking around a museum planning an exhibit and helping to decide visual details and flow. But the last image in my mind is probably the most solid—the one where I'm in a university classroom with a group of students. I see all of these as career goals and I've got an idea about what time they'd fit into my life, but I also know that I have personal goals. These are ones that I know I need to do to feel wholly fulfilled. This is where I fit my year or so of travel photojournalism. I see this fitting into my life sooner rather than later; but not before I learn more about life, myself and my career.

While all of this may seem wildly idealistic or naive, I base a good amount on professionals that I've talked to or observed doing these "jobs". And I'm also accounting for the unexpected. My most influential events in my life have all been unexpected so I've learned to accept the unplanned and, well, roll with it.

Now, for those of you who do best with a timeline, I've included one below.

years 1-3
- work for a small studio and gain a lot of experience
- save money for photojournalistic travels
- travel to India, Europe and (back to) Ireland
- publish articles in various magazines
- apply for new jobs in design and/or photography

years 3-10
- work with a brilliant group of people at new job
- begin pursuing museum related jobs
- apply for masters programs in design/photography
- get masters degree
- party
- save for studio equipment
- apply to become an adjunct associate professor

years 10-20
- open photo studio and hire minions
- create a successful photography studio/ freelance design business
- teach as an adjunct
- hire interns
- take another long photojournalistic trip

years 20-40
- hand over empire to a minion
- become full time faculty
- retire when I get tired of students

years 40+
-retire to Co. Kerry
-purchase this b&b



No comments: