11.10.2008

sound making process




With the help of my classmates and a problem solving session with garrett it all clicked and I was able to give my viewer options for nonlinear story making (with video and music options) and linear story making with my words and imagery (a last minute addition) that can form sentences. With this I also wanted the viewer to be able to compare and contrast the imagery, sound effects and words within the system.



After conquering my sounds, I moved on to sketches of possible interactive Flash documents. I thought about having the viewer move the paper crane, paste bottle and scissors to have different resulting videos and sounds (these are the sketches below). But I wanted to push it further and presented the class with the idea of a matching/storymaking game with my animation stills. This I felt was still leaning towards ineffective so I pushed it to my final idea of words with sounds creating the sentences.. Then Garrett gave us the tutorial in flash and my ideas had to go on the backburner so that I could learn the tools to make my interactive. This was by far the hardest part for me and resulted in many failed files. 
 






At the beginning of the project I worked with different sound files in garage band and audacity. I quickly found out that garage band isn't all that great for voice recordings. I think my biggest challenge though was my sound mark. I wanted to give the listener the sense of a page being picked up, folded, crumpled, turned etc. I found some online and tried all of them for myself. My first sound marks were unsuccessful because they sounded more like cards than paper. So I finally figured out an easy page turn sound for the final.  

No comments: